The Darkest Minds - Alexandra Bracken Original Post at http://www.yabooknook.tumblr.com

Oh dear, where do I start.

I thought this was going to be a solid 4 star book. I liked it, really liked it, but a few chapters in I didn’t think it would have that oomph I was waiting for.

Then halfway through the book, a character said something (I mean Liam yes I do) and I just stopped. I put the book down and stared into middle distance as it dawned on me that I cared. I was screwed.

TDM is a road trip gone bad to hell and back. It has action (lots), strange kids with powers no one completely understands, a collapsing society—like a dystopia in modern days, which is not a dystopia at all, but something much more scary than that. The characters are just so real, too, the way they talk and act and interact and made my little heart ache.

And let’s not forget about the romance—slow and sweet and unf.

Basically, what I’m saying is you should read this book because it’s great. It had me curled into the fetal position all throughout the last few chapters, holding Jared (my iPad) for dear life, sobbing, and repeating ‘no no no’ like a maniac because I knew what was going to happen, I just did. And I couldn’t stop it damn it.

Of course, now I have to wait ten thousand years for the next books in the series yay (no).

Specially recommended to people who liked UNWIND by Neal Shusterman, because I kept thinking of it while I read THE DARKEST MINDS. Road trips while everyone and their dog chases your trouble-making ass, anyone?