Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins Originally posted at http://yabooknook.tumblr.com/post/48593156971/book-recommendation-anna-and-the-french-kiss

I never read books like ANNA.

I’m not big on contemporary fiction, I’d rather read fantasy. Actually, I can count the recent contemporary YA I’ve read in one hand—and two of those are already by Stephanie Perkins.

But ANNA, oh this book.

ANNA has charm. And I don’t mean just one or two characters, I mean the whole book. It’s lighthearted in ways, but so very true in others. So fresh, so vivid, sigh.

Anna is a fantastic main character—she’s vulnerable and disoriented, almost lost abroad. But she forges through. She plunges forward with so much bravery I just want to hug and cheer her on. She’s one of those, sadly few, instances when you know exactly the right character is the MC. No secondary character outshines her, because this is her story.

I wish I could talk about St. Clair. I really do. But I just can’t because feels and other fangirly things. St. Clair, how you made me love you, I have no idea. But I named my first nook after him and that’s not a thing I do lightly.

The thing about ANNA is that it’s a fantastic book, but more importantly—it hits the mark so perfectly, so masterfully that it makes me want to cry out of sheer joy. I’ve studied abroad. I know what it’s like to be in a strange place, where you don’t speak the language or know anybody, uprooted and away from your family. You know what it’s like, too, if you’ve ever had to change houses or moved away from college.

This book shows that so clearly it hurts.

Honestly, everything here is so real, so amazing, I half think Stephanie Perkins actually just followed some teenagers around and wrote down what they did.

ANNA is an unforgettable book because it feels just like home. And this comes from somebody who would not have picked it up had it not been heavily recommended.

I’m doing you a favor here. Go read this book.

You will feel less lonely.