Legend - Marie Lu Originally at: http://yabooknook.tumblr.com/post/49742578380/book-recommendation-legend-by-marie-lu

I wasn’t going to pick up this book. I didn’t for a long time. LEGEND has two things that usually turn me off: High praise and young MCs.

I think we can all tell by now that I’m glad I gave it a shot.

LEGEND is a futuristic YA told from the alternating perspectives of Day and June. Day is a little like Robin Hood—if Robin Hood was 15 years old, had wrecked military bases, and gave me heart palpitations deer gawd because did he. He’s charming and scrappy and so likable I can’t begin to tell you. June—I thought I was gonna have trouble with her, because she read a little strangely at first, except it makes total sense with her character. June is the Republic’s prodigy, so smart and so sought-after and so awesome. She’s just entirely kickass. I’m not just saying that, either: we aren’t just told June is clever or badass or what-have-you, it’s shown in the narrative and I was so happy I could have cried.

This book was action packed and fast-paced and so thrilling I couldn’t put it down. The writing is absolutely flawless, as is the character and plot development. (I could guess some of the twists, but not all. And even the ones I guess didn’t bother me much).

The reason I don’t give this book flying 5 stars is because some things happen at the beginning that are supposed to carry a lot of emotional weight… and I didn’t really care about it. I won’t spoil anything, but it was something intended to make me sympathize with the characters, but I didn’t feel I had spent enough time with them to care yet. In retrospect, I do care, but I didn’t then.

Still, this book was fantastic and finally managed to overcome My Sequel Situation. I’m already reading PRODIGY and only put it down to write this recommendation. Now it’s back to it!