Ruby Red - Kerstin Gier Originally at: http://yabooknook.tumblr.com/post/49751041489/book-recommendation-ruby-red

Actual Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

So… this book. I’m honestly having the hardest time recommending this book because I have so many conflicted feelings about it, but at the same time I love it so much.

RUBY RED is a time-traveling book, and if that doesn’t convince you, I don’t know what will. Think Doctor Who but without aliens and less bow-ties (sadly).

Gwyneth, our main character, has been raised to believe she was average, unlike her special cousin… until she’s not. She gets swept into this time-traveling business she isn’t prepared for, where people expect her to cram years of history in a few days and know both how to fence and speak in proper 1875 English. It’s a nightmare. On top of that is Gideon who i love is a completely unhelpful and very attractive asshole. What’s not to love, right?

The thing with RUBY RED (aka why I’m not giving it 5 stars) is that it’s a set-up book, and it ends so open-endedly that its characters could spill out. I don’t know if it’s because it’s German, or if that’s just how the series panned out, but you should understand that I read this when only RUBY RED had been translated and I wanted to punch something.

For you lovely people, though, there’s SAPPHIRE BLUE to jump into right after you finish RUBY RED. You won’t have my post-book disorders issues.

This is one of those books that I think about months and months after I’ve read it like, I wish I could feel like that again. And that’s the best feeling ever.