In the Shadow of Blackbirds - Cat Winters Originally Published at: http://yabooknook.tumblr.com/post/52991242541/book-recommendation-in-the-shadow-of-blackbirds

Oh God.

I am literally choking up. I just finished this book and ran here to write this book recommendation, even though I have no time.

This book hugged my heart and broke it. If you don’t read this you are seriously missing out.

IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS is everything I didn’t expect, with the creepiness of Libba Bray’s THE DIVINERS and the fierce accuracy of a history textbook. It combined WWI, the Spanish Flu, Spiritual Photography, and a murder mystery so incredible I’ve procrastinated packing for 6+ hours to finish it I sure hope those suitcases make themselves. No? Ok.

I loved this book to pieces.

Mary Shelley Black has risen to be one of my very favorite heroines. Fierce. Logical. A mind so fully scientific and brilliantly honest that I wanted to hug her and make best friends with her. And Stephen, oh my sweet artistic soul, I though you would be a one-dimensional plot device, I’m so sorry, my little boy. No, I love you. I love you so much.

In fact, that was basically the case for everything here. All these vivid, amazing characters walked though this book, in a world so beautifully crafted that I was horrified to be placed there. Some characters I thought would be major faded into the background, some minor characters came into sharp focus.

Cat Winters produced a debut story so fantastic I can’t even believe it was her first published book.

I can’t say enough how much I recommend this book. IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS is just great. Creepy, with accompanying photographs, and the most compelling characters. And the mystery—the murder.

Read this book. Please.

I do lose ink.

I’m just gonna cry my suitcases into packing themselves